Do It Yourself Dentistry



My father grew up during the height of the Great Depression and taught himself many things. There wasn’t much he could not do. He was truly skilled in many areas, from car repair to fabricating aircraft. He was a devout believer in never paying for anything you could do yourself.
EJ—everyone called him that, preached the gospel that said, if you can read and perform math, you should be able to do anything yourself. He not only preached that gospel, he lived it. If anything broke, he fixed it himself. That is why dentistry came to mind. Yeah, my father performed his own dental work. To my knowledge, he never saw a dentist, and as a result never wasted a dime having his teeth fixed.
Without going into horror stories of what happened to his teeth, suffice to say that people like EJ are still among us. The recent exposure to our Great Depression has forced many job seekers to acquire do-it-yourself mentality. After all, why shell out good money for something like a résumé when you can do the darn thing yourself.
While eavesdropping on a conversation during lunch, I heard a young man named Zack regale over the great difficulties he and everyone else he knew was having in the job market. He had sent out another 100 copies of his résumé, and braced himself for continued bad results. I turned to a nearby acquaintance and made inquiry about the young man.
“Oh-him? Yeah I know Zack,” John G replied. “That kid is brilliant. Probably one of the smartest people I know.” It should be noted that John knows many smart people. Thus, his comment piqued my curiosity. If the young man is so smart, why was he having so much difficulty finding a job?
A quick decision was made: I needed to help a deserving stranger for Holy Week. In doing so, it helps to promote a sense of self-efficacy. I approach Zack, introduce myself, and inform him that this is his lucky day. I was going to make him an employment star.
Outwardly, Zack was gracious. We set up a time to review his job-hunting materials and he agreed to come in. The whole enchilada would cost him the price of making a referral. Life does not get much better than that. Moreover, Zack is within easy walking distance to my office.
I obtained Zack’s self-styled résumé from the Internet. It took me less than three seconds to spot the problems. They were issues I had fixed many times: Making Zack an employment star would be a piece of cake.
Once Zack arrived, the missing critical information was added and two-thirds of his prior material thrown out. What Zack had failed to mention was what it was he really wanted to do. As a result, he had thrown in everything, hoping the reader would be able to figure it.
Starting today, Zack is heading for the US State Department as a cultural attaché, where his knowledge in four foreign languages can be put to good use. No longer will he have to proceed through life performing his own job-search dentistry.